Read on for information on how you can be part of our Virtual Lobby Day.
On Thursday, March 22nd, while we are visiting Congress in person, we need you to call your own U.S. Representative and both Senators and ask them to save federal funding for bicycling. All of our Representatives and Senators strongly support bicycling, but we need them to stand firm and help convince others in Congress!
Earlier this week, we updated you on the situation in Congress. Now it appears that the House and Senate are trying to agree on a three-month extension of transportation funding before the March 31 deadline. This will maintain funding at current levels and give Congress more time to agree on an acceptable transportation bill. But the extension must be "clean" (without any changes to current policies or funding).
Here is what we need to do do when you call:
- Thank your Representative for his or her past support of bicycling. If your Representative is Michael Capuano, specifically thank him for voting in favor of the Petri Amendment (pronounced "pea-try") in the Transportation & Infrastructure Committee.
- Tell your Representative what cycling means to you, your family, or your business - your personal story matters!
- Ask your Representative to do two things: (1) support a clean extension of transportation funding, and (2) support the Petri Amendment when it is introduced again in the full House.
- Thank both Senators for their past support of bicycling, and specifically for co-sponsoring the Cardin-Cochran Amendment that was included in the Senate Transportation Bill.
- Tell both Senators what cycling means to you, your family, or your business - your personal story matters!
- Ask both Senators to do two things: (1) support a clean extension of transportation funding, and (2) oppose any attack on Transportation Enhancements, Safe Routes to School, and Recreational Trails.
Here are the phone numbers for all the U.S. Representatives for Massachusetts:
|District||Rep Name||Office Number|
|1||Rep. Olver, John||202-225-5335|
|2||Rep. Neal, Richard||202-225-5601|
|3||Rep. McGovern, James||202-225-6101|
|4||Rep. Frank, Barney||202-225-5931|
|5||Rep. Tsongas, Niki||202-225-3411|
|6||Rep. Tierney, John||202-225-8020|
|7||Rep. Markey, Edward||202-225-2836|
|8||Rep. Capuano, Michael||202-225-5111|
|9||Rep. Lynch, Stephen||202-225-8273|
|10||Rep. Keating, William||202-225-3111|
Don't know who your U.S. Representative is? Click here and enter your address to find out.
And our two U.S. Senators:
|Senator Name||Office Number|
|Senator Kerry, John||202-224-2742|
|Senator Brown, Scott||202-224-4543|
Please don't forget to call on Thursday, March 22nd, to be part of MassBike's National Bike Summit Virtual Lobby Day. And then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you called.
Do you like this post?