Are you passionate about cycling and eager to make a difference in the biking community of Massachusetts? MassBike is actively seeking dedicated individuals to join its volunteer Board of Directors and contribute to the mission of creating safer and more accessible cycling opportunities for all residents. You don't need to be a spandex-clad cyclist; all you need is a genuine interest in improving the biking landscape throughout the Commonwealth.
If you care about transportation, environmental justice, community organizing, fundraising, or nonprofit governance, we invite you to apply to become a part of MassBike's team in pursuit of equitable bicycling access for everyone.
Duties and Responsibilities
Our volunteer board members play a crucial role in guiding the organization and driving positive change within the biking community. Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Devoting your time, expertise, and/or financial support to advance MassBike's purpose.
- Participating in the selection of the organization's president through a majority vote.
- Establishing policies that align with MassBike's goals and objectives.
- Evaluating and approving budgets and general plans to ensure effective resource allocation.
- Submitting an Annual Report and fulfilling other legal obligations as required.
- Overseeing financial matters, including tax filings and financial audits.
- Adapting the organization's bylaws, policies, or practices when necessary.
In addition to the core duties, board members are encouraged to:
- Maintain an active membership and contribute financially to MassBike through fundraising, personal donations, and in-kind services.
- Regularly attend board meetings (held six times a year) and subcommittee meetings.
- Play an active role in assisting MassBike based on your skills, interests, and background.
- Advocate for cycling improvements at the local level.
- Participate actively in board communication through MassBike's Slack platform.
- Contribute significantly to major board-driven events through planning and attendance.
Qualifications and Application Process
MassBike is seeking individuals who share a genuine passion for cycling and a strong commitment to the organization's mission. Here are some qualifications we value:
- A deep enthusiasm for promoting cycling among diverse communities.
- Previous work or volunteer experience with similar organizations.
- Availability to attend Tuesday evening board meetings (held six times a year).
- Active engagement with MassBike, including being on the mailing list and contributing as a donor.
- Familiarity with Slack or a willingness to learn and utilize it for board communications.
- An eagerness to foster inclusivity and contribute to MassBike's vision of becoming an even more equitable organization.
To apply for a board position, simply complete the Prospective MassBike Board of Directors Interest Form.
We encourage all interested individuals to submit their applications by July 31, 2023, as priority consideration will be given to early applicants. For any inquiries or further information, please reach out to us at [email protected]