MassBike was awarded grant funding through the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center’s (MassCEC) new Accelerating Clean Transportation for All (ACT4All) Program to conduct a 2-year program to distribute electric bicycles and track their usage amongst select populations in the City of Worcester. We will lead a team including the Worcester Chamber of Commerce, community-based organizations, and the Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) to deploy the e-bikes to low-income residents throughout Worcester.
Applications for the program are now closed & our selection process has begun. As the program continues, this page will be updated with current project information.
The program will determine approximately one hundred riders in the Worcester area to receive bicycles, train riders through safe cycling and maintenance courses, and coordinate community events to encourage everyday riding.
- May 2022 - Program application launch
- Thursday, June 30th - Applications Due
- July/August 2022 - Program participants selected
- August-October 2022 - E-Bikes distributed to participants
The Worcester E-Bike Program application process is now closed. Thank you very much for those who sent in applications. Due to the high number of applications, a lottery system will be put in place to choose the participants.
All applicants will receive a notification about the selection criteria and an update on the process before the end of July.
Want to learn more? Email Alex at [email protected] for more information.
- "New Worcester E-Bike Users Take Group Tour Of City" (Worcester Patch - 08/22/2022)
- "Politics and the City: E-Bikes 'take the lane' on Worcester Streets in Pilot Project" (Worcester Telegram & Gazette - 08/21/2022)
- “Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition starting Worcester e-bike program” (Spectrum News1 - 06/10/2022)
- "MassBike giving away 100 free electric bikes to Worcester residents, workers; Here's how you can get one" (MassLive - 05/26/2022)
- "Green Program Offering Free E-Bikes To Worcester Residents" (thisweekinworcester.com - 05/24/2022)
- “Worcester MassBike Program Provides Free E-Bikes to Low Income Residents” (WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - 04/05/2022
- “How Massachusetts is getting electric vehicles, e-bikes to low-income populations” (Worcester Telegram & Gazette - 03/31/2022)
- "Mass. Clean Energy Center Awards $3 Million to New E-Bike Subsidy Programs" (Streetsblog MASS - 03/09/2022)
- "E-Bikes For Worcester Residents: Grant Funds Test Program" (Patch - 03/08/2022)